A woman is eligible for consideration for a STAR Scholarship if she:
- Is recommended by a local chapter of the P.E.O. Sisterhood
- Is a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States or Canada
- Has a minimum cumulative unweighted GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Exhibits excellence in leadership, academics, extracurricular activities, community service and potential for future success
- Plans to attend an accredited postsecondary education institution in the United States or Canada full time or part time in the fall of the academic year following her high school graduation
The applications of individuals who satisfy these eligibility criteria will be evaluated on a nondiscriminatory basis without consideration of race, age, national origin, religious affiliation, disability or P.E.O. connection.
Members of a local P.E.O. chapter will interview a student before deciding to recommend her.
After a local chapter recommends a student, the P.E.O. Executive Office will email the applicant instructions for logging into an online account to complete her portion of the application. This must be submitted no more than 30 days after she receives the email.
The application includes information about the student and her activities, a one-page essay, two references and an unofficial high school transcript (through 11th grade-/-junior year). Canadian applicants must also include their Province Conversion Grading Scale. The application contains a link the student can send to references that they will need to complete by the deadline.
Awards are announced annually by April 30, and notification is sent to all applicants and recommending chapters.
Additional Resources for Students: