About the P.E.O. Program for Continuing Education (PCE)
The P.E.O. Program for Continuing Education, established in 1973, is a need based grant program providing one-time financial assistance to women whose education has been interrupted and who find it necessary to return to school to complete a degree or certification that improves their marketable skills for employment to support themselves and/or their families.
The P.E.O. Program for Continuing Education (PCE) is intended to provide one-time need based grants to women who are citizens or legal permanent residents of the United States or Canada for use in completing a degree or certification necessary for improving or gaining skills leading to employment.
- The maximum grant is $3,000.
- Lesser amounts may be awarded based on funds available in the current year’s grant budget and applicants’ individual needs.
- Grants will not be awarded for prerequisite courses or to those needing or choosing immediate continuation of their education beyond the current program for which the grant is requested.
- A PCE grant is not to be used for living expenses or to repay educational loans or personal debt.
A PCE grant is a grant-in-aid for education related expenses such as:
- books, supplies
- testing and graduation fees
- transportation (only for estimated cost of gas, parking, and local bus fare,
not for auto loan payments or maintenance)
- childcare (only while in class or studying)
- uniforms required by the educational program
- equipment/tools necessary for the course of study
- Grants may be awarded for academic or technical courses including online programs offered by educational institutions in the United States or Canada.
Information for Women Interested in PCE Grant Consideration
Membership in P.E.O. is not a requirement for grant award consideration. However, access to the online application is given only after the members of a P.E.O. chapter have voted to sponsor a candidate. In order to protect the privacy of its members, membership lists, including contact information, are never provided to non P.E.O.s.
If you are interested in being considered for chapter sponsorship, you should:
- Carefully read through the Eligibility criteria, and all other information provided on this site.
- Complete and submit the Information Form for a Potential PCE Candidate Seeking Chapter Sponsorship found at the bottom of the Eligibility Requirements page.
Please do not use the “Request More Information” link on this website to request status updates. If a P.E.O. member has not initiated contact within four weeks, it is unlikely a sponsoring chapter has been located.
When a chapter identifies a prospective applicant, the local chapter’s PCE chairman will arrange an interview to assess eligibility. If the chapter votes to recommend the applicant for PCE grant consideration, the chairman oversees the online application process which starts with the Chapter Recommendation Form. The CRF is posted on the PCE page of the P.E.O. International website which is password protected for member only access.
After the CRF has been submitted electronically and reviewed by the project supervisor, the applicant will be sent emailed instructions for setting up her online account. This email will include a specific 30 day deadline for completing and submitting the PCE Application and Income and Expense Statement. The chapter contact will also be advised of the deadline.